Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Do police or the da need a warrant to change my po box lock

Customer Question

Do police or the da need a warrant to change my po box lock and hold my mail
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

First class mail belongs to you, and police can't read it or take it without a search warrant. That means they need probable cause to believe that the mail either contains something illegal/dangerous (like prescription drugs sent from a foreign country or an illegal weapon), or they need probable causes to believe that the mail itself is evidence of a crime/contains evidence of a crime. Postal inspectors do have the ability to get a warrant in that scenario, as do police, but they must have one.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.