Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I used Gazelle.com to trade in my cell phone. They provided

Customer Question

I used Gazelle.com to trade in my cell phone. They provided me a Fedex shipping label and the package was lost in transit. Who is liable? What is my recourse?
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow shortly in the pane below as per above parameters….

ANSWER:

You can file a claim with Fed Ex; but they have terms and conditions that limit their liability for lost packages to $100.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply, however I have to disagree. I could only file a claim with Fedex if I was the shipper of record. Since the company Gazelle provided me with a shipping label, they are technically the shipper. My question still has not been answered, who has liability for my missing items? Should I need to sue, would it be Gazelle? I can't imagine suing Fedex since they are only the carrier and their responsibility lies with Gazelle since that's their customer. I was under the impression I would need to sue Gazelle and they would need to recover funds from Fedex...

Yes, you are correct that Gazelle would have to file for the claim with Fed Ex. Fed Ex is the ultimate liable party since its negligence caused the package to be missing. If you need to sue, you need to sue Gazelle for breach of contract upon which they would join Fed Ex on a negligence action as a third party defendant.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What do you mean "upon which they would join Fedex"? Does that mean I should sue Gazelle and Fedex at the same time in the same case?

You would not have standing to sue Fed Ex as you have no privity with it. You would sue Gazelle and then in the same suit, Gazelle would turn around and sue Fed Ex because Gazelle contracted with Fed Ex to make the delivery.