Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My predecessor is no longer an employee and he has been

Customer Question

My predecessor is no longer an employee and he has been harassing/ bullying me as well as continuing to do tasks for which I'm responsible for. His wife is still an employee. She's a teacher and he was the Tech Director of the school. I've assumed his role but with a tech coordinator's title. He's lobbied through his wife with only a select few teachers and has been interrupting and disturbing my work. My superiors stance is to ignore him and it will go away... But when they do correspond with him it's helpful and not at all regarding my issues. He's got quite the file and wasn't an exceptional employee by any standard from what I've been told. I have emails that show he's been involved. What are my options?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he has not ceased in response to your telling him to cease and desist, you need to bring that back to the superintendent and to the school board and inform them that he is interfering in school business. Furthermore, if you are part of the union, you need to also file a grievance through the union about the conduct.
Unfortunately, this is up to the school or school board to take action on and you need to keep all of the evidence of his conduct in case the school later tries to blame actions he has taken on you.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm reading that workplace bullying is actually legal in all 50 states. Is this true? But is this bullying? Or something different?
Thank you for your reply.
There is no law against workplace bullying anywhere in the US. This is not bullying, it is interfering in the workplace and it is up to your employer to put a stop to the conduct. If not, it is possible that you can claim that this conduct is harassment, as it serves no purposes but to annoy or harass you, but you can only sue if you can show you are suffering actual harm from his harassment and then seek a restraining order.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Just before the most previous rounds of emails from the offender, my Superintendent had a meeting with myself and a couple teachers who were involved. The meeting didn't produce any results other than me getting a written warning because of my decision to leave the school for the remaining of the day... Because of my frustration that I wasn't getting any support.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry, "most recent round of emails"
Thank you for your reply.
You cannot get frustrated. Use the school rules against these teachers and this individual. Frustration and leaving is a sign of bad management, so do not give them the satisfaction. Document everything and write every one of the teachers up and stand your grounds and bring it back to the superintendent. Do not walk away, do not leave, do the job you know you can do.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok thank you so much for your help. If I may one more... I've been seeking help from the school Councilor. Does this hold any weight in my situation?
Thank you for your reply.
Seeking help from the school counselor does not help your case for your situation, it can help in the form of giving you a sounding board to run your ideas by and your frustrations through to help you deal with these people.
These teachers not doing what you say is insubordination, so you need to use the rules against them and write them up and let the school disciplinary process deal with the matter.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Unless you have any further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.