Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I am currently in the state of Alabama and I am an uninsured

Customer Question

I am currently in the state of Alabama and I am an uninsured motor vehicle list I was involved in an accident tonight at no fault of mine do I have any legal rights
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Since in Alabama, as well as, in most other US states, car insurance is mandatory, if a driver was not insured at the time of an accident, then the driver could be held personally liable for any and all damages / injuries and also the driver license of the uninsured driver, can be suspended, until any other party who suffered damages as a result of the accident release the uninsured driver from liability.

Here is the link to the relevant Alabama law:

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/CodeofAlabama/1975/32-7-6.htm

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What should I do next,I am 19 the trucks in my dads name and the other vehicle was totalled. Should I contact his insurance co? Im really confused on what my next move should be.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what to do, however, both uninsured driver of the vehicle and the vehicle owner, would be generally held liable for any damages resulting from the accident, so it might be a good idea to contact local civil litigation attorney and to see if this attorney can negotiate a settlement with the other party.

I wish you the best of luck!