How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31561
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend and I going thru a break up we have 2 dogs one

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I going thru a break up we have 2 dogs one we owned togetgher and one I purchased when we had our last breakup and did not live together for 2 years she is going thru some mental issues she text me to ask me if I could drop my dog off to spend time with our other dog while she went away for a day so he would not be alone when I went back to get him she had a breakdown and had the cops Theresa I could not get my dog back .so I waited a couple of days to see if she came to her senses and give him but she did not. Her daughter and son are both over 18 and know that the dog is mine they are both on my side because they know she is not in a good place just need to know the easiest and quickest way to get my dog back
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Outside of her voluntarily returning the dog to you, the quickest thing you can do to get the dog back would be to file a small claims case for conversion of property.....and ask the judge to order her to return your dog to you immediately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The text I have from her asking me to let the dog spend the day there is that enough proof for the judge to have her return the dog immediately to me and how long does it typically take to be heard
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You're entitled to the immediate return of your dog because it's your property -- not hers. Conversion is when you entrust someone with possession of your property and they then won't return it.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to get a hearing on this within a few weeks -- if you/your lawyer requests an emergency hearing.