Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I received a letter from Fingerlake's Health stating they

Customer Question

I received a letter from Fingerlake's Health stating they could no longer keep me as a patient because I have used prescription drugs and threatened them with a lawsuit I then contacted my doctor primary care physician ***** *****e and we had a discussion about the letter I asked Heather if she got I abuse my prescription drugs and she said no and that he would try to get my treatment reinstated however the office manager took it upon herself to call me back and advised me that they could not take me back now I'm not sure but I do believe that the doctor said I did not abuse my prescription drugs so therefore I feel that my integrity has been slandered with an untruth and my character has been defamed do I have recourse on this
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Unfortunately, it does not appear you have any recourse. No statement, no matter how false and vile, can constitute defamation if it is made only to the person that is the basis of the statement and that is what it appears has happened in your scenario. It was told to you, and you then repeated it. Defamation arises from a loss of reputation. How can you lose reputation if the statement is made only to you? And if you repeat the slander or show someone the libelous statement, the speaker or publisher remains free from liability, because you are the one that "published" the statement.

If you have other questions or need more information, please let me know here. Otherwise, thanking you in advance for a positive rating.