CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have a person that I ended things with threatening to have

Customer Question

I have a person that I ended things with threatening to have me filmed on Catfish, the MTV series. Can they film me and televise that without my permission? Is there anything I can do to protect myself.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

In general, this type of video is not permitted to be used for commercial purposes without your consent.

See this article for a detailed discussion of the multiple legal theories that apply: http://www.internetlegal.com/rights-of-privacy-and-publicity-for-film-and-television/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no video but they are threatening to have CatFish come to my door and film me for their show. My worry is can this show do such a thing as showing up at my house or work and filming me without my permission. Can they submit anything about me even if I am not filmed on this show? What are my rights.

Your rights are detailed in the link I posted to you - these include the "Right of Personality" and right of privacy (lesser right). But they are not permitted to use your image/personality for commercial or economic gain (such as for a television show) without a greater public purpose (such as a legitimate news broadcast - which this is not).

If you are "ambushed" by one of these shows, simply close the door, if they insist, you can call the police.

If they went so far as to try to air the show, you could have an attorney sue them on your behalf - but a network as large as this one will not be airing you without proper written authorization.