Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My case has been settled since October26 I haven't received

Customer Question

My case has been settled since October26 I haven't received my settlement check yet so what could be wrong and my lawyer is giving me different sorry each time I call and sometimes he will not answer my call
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You should have received payment within 30 days of the settlement. If you have not received the payment, something is wrong. You need to try to check with the other party to see if they sent payment to your attorney. Your attorney is liable to give payment to their client as soon as possible upon receipt, unfortunately there are many unscrupulous attorneys out there who misuse these client funds and then come up with excuses to not pay or delay payment until they can get client funds from some other client to give to you and then delay payment to them. Doing that is grounds for a complaint to the bar and for the bar to suspend them or disbar them.
You need to first find out whether or not the other party sent payment. If they did, then you need to send a written demand to the attorney and tell him he has 5 business days to pay you your money or you will go to the DA and file a complaint for theft and to the MI bar to report him for mishandling of client funds and not making payment as required.