Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I have a watercraft that was purchased. Bill of sale,

Customer Question

I have a watercraft that was purchased. Bill of sale, registration, insurance, title for both boat and trailer are in my name. A former friend made a gift of part of the purchase price. Now that the friendship is over he is stating we were partners. I am the only I even have where maintenance and parts were purchased by me. How do I show sole ownership?
Expert:  Maverick replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

ANSWER:

Since the title and registration are in your name, this alone shows sole ownership. He would have to file court action and prove otherwise and then get a court order to have it titled in both your names before any type of joint ownership was legal.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you sir! I would think his burden of proof would be hard to show.

Yes, based on the time elapsed and since he appears to have permitted you to title in your name without demanding title in both names at the time of giving you the money, it does tend to show a gift.