Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If I am on Megan's Law in my only offense in the last 15

Customer Question

if I am on Megan's Law in my only offense in the last 15 years has been drug offenses will I be eligible to get off
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The NJ law says you MAY apply for removal from the list if you have not committed another offense in 15 years. So, if you have not committed another offense in 15 years, then you can apply for the registration and you have to prove you are not likely to pose a danger to others. That means no convictions of any kind in New Jersey or other jurisdictions since the time when the person was sentenced to the Megan’s Law offense. Prosecutors may even object to the motion even if an individual has had charges dismissed, so if you have had drug offenses since your conviction in the last 15 years, you are not going to be eligible for removal under NJ law.