Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I was falsely convicted, yesterday during an appeal battery.

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** I was falsely convicted, yesterday during an appeal for domestic battery. I'm lost at this point because I don't understand how our legal system can allow this to happen. The police office reported under oath during my first trial that I had no marking on my hands, yet yesterday after looking at the pictures talked of blood and scratches. My picture of my hands had black marks from paint, which i had been doing that day.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The above is one of many things I feel are wrong and then when the officer was questioned about the his first statement being that there was noting on my hands he flat out lied and said that he testified in my last hearing the same thing being I had scratches on them. My lawyer gave the prosector evil looks and she asked him to stop being so mean. My lawyer said I'm not being mean you know he just lied. My trial preceeded and I was guilty again for somethign I didn't do. After court I dismissed myself from being upset and made plans to meet with my lawyer next week. I think he should of done something. I don;t the way the legal system works,
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 12 months ago.

What is the question you wished to ask? In what US state did this occur?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Should I seek another lawyer. Because should he of done something when the cop committed perjury?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The first case was in district court a few I appealed it to circuit court

The only thing a lawyer can do if the police officer tells a lie on the stand is to try to impeach him with his previously made testimony or trip him up on cross-examination so that the jury can see for itself that the policeman is less than truthful. In the end, however, if the police officer holds to the lie despite cross examination there's nothing more a lawyer can do. Then it's all up to the jury. It's the jury that gets to decide for itself whether a witness is credible and how much weight to give that witness's testimony. If the lawyer never challenged the officer's testimony then you'd potentially have an appealable issue based on your lawyer's ineffective assistance,

But you've apparently already appealed. What happened with that? Has it been decided yet? For what do you need another lawyer?