Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I purchased a vehicle that my girlfriend has been driving.

Customer Question

I purchased a vehicle that my girlfriend has been driving. She said she would make the payments and did for a little short while but quit paying after the relationship was terminated. I made the remainder of the payments until the lien was satisfied. The vehicle is paid in full and the title is in my name however the woman still has possession of the vehicle and has moved to avoid relinquishing the vehicle. I feel as if I paid the majority of the balance and the vehicle is legally titled and registered under my name that the vehicle should legally be mine
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Based on the information provided who has legal claim to the vehicle?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

In Texas, there are two types of ownership or title, legal and equitable. Legal means whose name is ***** ***** title of the vehicle. Equitable means who has the greater right to the vehicle. Under the facts that you have given it appears that you have both legal and equitable title UNLESS you made a gift of the vehicle to her. If she makes that claim then it will be up to a court to sort it out.

You can contact the police about it but they are almost certainly going to tell you "it's a civil matter" because that's what they always say in cases like this. That means to force her to turn it over you are going to have to go to court and ask the court for what is known as a "turnover order". They are fairly complicated to apply for and there are no forms available that I'm aware of and so you are almost certainly going to need a lawyer to assist you.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.