LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Verbally) let someone move in to rent house 1 month.Being

Customer Question

verbally) let someone move in to rent house 1 month.Being poor and not being able to pay to evict......Squatters...have squatted,stayed,and now dis-appeared. Leaving be hind 6 months electric bills etc.... Also old truck,old trash boat.......filthy house full of junk..... Can we sell and throw away all left behind junk ????
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 12 months ago.

Good morning. How long have they been gone for? Did they leave any forwarding information or do you have their last known address?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
6 months.........nobody can find them!!!
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
HELLO !!!

Thank you. If they have been gone for 6 months, it would be clear that they have abandoned the home and have no intent to return. Prior to removing and disposing of their personal items, you would want to give them a 30 day notice, allowing them to retrieve them. This way, they do not come back and try and sue you for disposing of them and claiming they did not know. Based upon what you shared above about them, it would appear they are not going to return but you want to protect yourself if they do. You can send the notice to the address which you have, in hopes that their mail is being forwarded and post it on the door as well. This way, you can enter and clean it up and get it rented and dispose of what is needed,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
LISTEN.................THEY HAVE BEEN GONE 6 MONTHS. -NOBODY CAN FIND THEM !!!!! NEED TO CLEAN SEWER OUT AND AWAY FROM RENT HOUSE.....................AGAIN ......NO ADDRESS ANY WHERE > >>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!WE HAVE PAID 6 MONTHS ELECTRIC BILLS ETC.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
HELLO !!!

Yes, I am here

Please allow me a minute or two to respond

I understand 100% that they have been gone for 6 months. Do I think they will return? No. Do I think they would come back and sue you if they left and didn't pay any rent? No. Do I have an obligation to tell you what the law would require? Yes, 100%. It is at your discretion to proceed but I can not just tell you to go in and throw everything away.