Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
20011183

What do I need to provide proof of slander/defamation?

Customer Question

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

That really depends on the situation that you are saying is slander or defamation.

Defamation is a false statement of fact that has been made about you to third parties which has caused you financial harm or harm to your reputation.

So, to show proof of defamation, you have to establish both the false statement of fact and that it was said to a third party (meaning someone other than yourself or the person making the statement). You could get a written statement from a third party that was told the false statement. You could get a statement from someone that heard the statement even though it was not directed at them. If you heard the statement being made to a third party, then your own testimony could be enough.

If this is a former employer that you are talking about, and you are just supposing the defamation because you are losing out on jobs, you may need to hire a private detective to contact the former employer to ask for a reference, so that you can obtain positive evidence of the defamation.

As you can see, based on the very limited information contained in your question, it is difficult to be more specific. If you'd like to add some facts for me to consider, please use REPLY and I'll address those.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother is on her deathbed. I live in PA. My husband and I are business owners here. I went to Ohio where my mother lives to care for her for three weeks straight. When I came back to PA to catch a break and take care of some business here my grandmother and aunt who was supposed to step in for me while I was gone filled my mothers head with a bunch of lies and started rumors and made false accusations telling my mothers landlord, friends, other family members of mine and basically anyone she spoke to that I was trying to take my mothers life insurance money. Which is a ludicrous absurd statement. This has caused me a lot of mental anguish and my husband and I are in fear of our business reputation being ruined because of such lies and accusations.

Ok. This is difficult to prove unless you can get someone to testify to what they heard said about you and who said it. Then you can use that testimony to establish both what was said and who said it.

However, you have to have some testimony concerning who said it and what was said. That's required for a lawsuit.