CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

NJ Civil Law--Am I required to notify defendant of my

Customer Question

NJ Civil Law--Am I required to notify defendant of my subpoenaed witness?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 12 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum.

Yes, you are required to serve these papers on the opposing party (as well as on the deponent).

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your response and attachments. One final question, please. I'm assuming a letter to attorney is sufficient. Is there an appropriate time period I need to be aware of?

Dear Customer,

I would recommend reviewing Rule 1:5 with regards ***** ***** You need to send it to opposing counsel - USPS should be sufficient, but you need to ensure that notice is received in time for the opposing party to act on it - I don't recommend trying to play tricks with the rules of service here - if you send the notice via USPS 5 days before trial, the court may find your notice is untimely (the opposing party does not have 5 days service) and you could potentially lose the ability to bring your witness - courts do not appreciate "gotcha" litigation.

"The notice shall be served in accordance with R. 1:5-2 at least 5 days before trial." R 1:9-1

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Mr. B., Esquire. You're information was helpful and appreciated.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I mean YOUR, SORRY.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.

Bill