Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I was denied entrance to a Valero station because I use a

Customer Question

I was denied entrance to a Valero station because I use a service dog. Ib work at Austin Independent School district as an instructor. You ca believe my dog and I were thoroughly vetted before we could work around elementary kids. I have doctors letters an he approval letter from AISD. I contacted the comp0any and they of course said they were sorry and offered me 500 dollars, the amount of their insurance deductible and agreed that my civil rights have been trampled on. If I don't take the 500 dollars I will have to deal with their insurance and not them. I read about major settlements in cases of this kinf. What do you think I should do?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The ADA provides that, when a person has been discriminated against on the basis of a disability, the business can be required to pay for his or her reasonable attorney's fees. That means you have the option of hiring a lawyer to negotiate a settlement that you think is fair, and having the company pay for it. It may help to at least talk to a couple of attorneys in your area, because many of them will offer a free consultation. Lawyers who do this type of work frequently should have access to a database that lets you search similar jury verdicts and settlements for these types of cases in Texas (or better yet, in your town if possible). And that might help you better decide if you want to accept such a low settlement or go after the amount you're really entitled to.

Another option is to come up with a number that you think is fair, tell the company that they'll have to pay your legal fees if you sue (easily tens of thousands of dollars) and see if they're willing to be more reasonable about coming to a resolution outside of court.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.