Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

Me and my girlfriend split up and we assumed a house and two

Customer Question

Me and my girlfriend split up and we assumed a house and two cars she is primary I am a consigner she's trying to leave me with everything if I leave everything and she assumes it to keep her credit can she do anything and her parents are trying to tell me what to do with the house they can't sell it and give me the debt without my signature can they
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

They won't be able to sell the house without paying the mortgage. The lender has a lien on the house and in order to deliver clear title to any buyer, the mortgage will have to be paid in order for the lender to release it's lien. And, the house cannot be sold without your consent unless they were to file a suit for partition which would force the sale. But, any such forced sale would also require the mortgage loan be paid in full and to the extent there were excess proceeds, those would be divided between the two of you 50/50.

Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!