Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

If tenant is paying s share of house expences, can the owner

Customer Question

If tenant is paying his share of house expences, can the owner partially turn off electricity
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

No, if the landlord diminishes utilities in any way, that is illegal and considered a "constructive eviction" and would give the tenant grounds to file suit in small claims court under a breach of contract action and seek compensatory as well as punitive damages. Judges tend to be very hard on landlords who use these type of "self help " eviction methods and can award substantial punitive damages to set an example and deter future similar behavior.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks