LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I got pulled over going downhill today in Coconino County,

Customer Question

I got pulled over going downhill today in Coconino County, Page, AZ on my way into Hwy 89.
I gave the officer my information and he asked me if lived in Kayenta or Shonto (my physical residence is 30 miles from where I get my mail)...when I told him that I get my mail and where I live is listed on the my driver license he kept asking. I told him I have rights I don't need to answer more questions. He said you realize I can call dispatch to find out. I said go right ahead. Guess he didn't find out because he came back and told me I had to give him my social security number because it was legally required I do so. I had no choice. I gave it to him but I didn't have to in previous tickets in Page, Az.
So I called the police department and the lady to me that no, they didn't really need it. So I'm wondering whatsup? Is the cop sniping me out? His last name is*****
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The cop probably thought that you may be someone else, and that you were using a different name and ID----but without any proof of that other than a bare suspicion, he didn't have probable cause to further detain or arrest you.

Asking for your social---while inappropriate and possibly against department policy, would have allowed him to compare your information against the person he may have thought that you were.

It was inappropriate for him to lie about a requirement that you provide your social security number and because of the possibility of identity theft that exists, you probably should file a formal complaint against the office with his department.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug