Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Texas- I am a 56 year old Texas Real Estate Agent. On Sept.

Customer Question

Texas- I am a 56 year old Texas Real Estate Agent. On Sept. 14, 2015, I was arrested for Burglary of a Habitat....investigating abandoned OLD home and barn. I did not take anything, but had been inside the hoouse and barn. The owner drove up, held me at
gunpoint and questioned me. I asked him if I could purchase an old table I'd seen in the barn. Therefore, intent; therefore, burglary.
To complicate matters, I had my prescriptions medications in one bottle unmmarked.
I have a prescription for each medication.
The news media reported this incident on tv and in the newspaper. They named each medication.
I do not want anyone to know the meds I take, much less the entire news watching public.
Can this a Privacy Act problem for the news stations involved?
P.S. I was 24 years old the last time I rec'd a speeding ticket...3 total my entire life.
Expert:  Barrister replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Although this might have been more of a misunderstanding than any intentional criminal act, since the medication was likely taken into evidence and a police report taken and filed, that would be a matter of the public record and therefore not confidential. Basically anything the police do is public record and can be disclosed to any member of the public, including the media, as long as what they are reporting is true to the best of their knowledge during the course of any investigation. So if there were certain types of medications that were not in their proper containers, then their identification as part of any criminal investigation wouldn't carry any duty of confidentiality.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks