P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

Nov 6,2015 Hair dresser/owner put a cold wave chemical on my

Customer Question

Nov 6,2015 Hair dresser/owner put a cold wave chemical on my head at 10:18am and at 11:42am when my job called, informed the owner that I had to leave. she said nothing, but took the money I gave her. I hurriedly stopped at a beauty shop and called a few until one told me to come right away and they hoped they could save my hair at that point of a chemical being on my head for well over an hour. Reported them to the BBB and asked for a small money damage, before I went to another hair shop and hair dresser who specializes in cold wave curls and before I could tell him anything,he asked me what I had did to my hair because it was badly damaged. Is this a case an attorney would take or Is this a case of doing it on my own.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 12 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma.
Can you tell me, do you have any idea what it will cost to "fix" this?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not sure. The outside looks dry, brittle,damaged and not really curled. One hair dresser stated 6 months of treatment twice weekly and I didn't ask the 3rd hair dresser, but I am sticking with him, who knows what he is doing and will be treating my hair.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Just read the email that the BBB sent me in response to the Hair dresser/owner who is not telling the true timing. I have the proof.

Thanks
What you are describing sounds like you have a great lawsuit.

However, you are limited by the "damages" you can prove.

YOu have to be able to prove how their treatment (the poor treatment you received) harmed you. That limits how much you can receive in a case like this.

And generally speaking, you can not sue for attorney fees.

So you may be best of using small claims court.

Small claims is a true "peoples court". The formal rules of evidence and procedure do not apply. So you can represent yourself (no need to hire a lawyer).

The process is simple enough. You head to the county court (the county where the shop is located) and talk to the clerk of the court. They can get you the forms needed to start. You file the claim, serve a copy on the defendant and wait for your day in court.

In court, be prepared to tell the judge what happened, and bring in copies of any evidence that supports your case. IF there are witnesses who can testify about what happened? Have them come as well. Here, an estimate from another shop on the cost to fix this would help you prove damages.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
When you speak of sueing to another hair dresser, it's like a code and they are afraid you would come after them also. I don't feel comfortable signing a sign off for $300 now and feel more confused and distressed than ever. I will seek small claims court.
Thank You

Welcome. Happy to help.