Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Rights violation case in federal court I am a pro se

Customer Question

For acivil rights violation case in federal court I am a pro se litigant and I filed court paperwork 1 day late but the judge dismissed my case without prejudice meaning i can refile again in court with the necessary amendments for my case but my questions are:
1.Do i need to file other paperwork to ensure my case will proceed and not get dismissed based on timeliness. For instance an extension ?
2. I filled out a in forma pauperis at the time and I was working and he ordered me to pay my fee to proceed. But i became unemployed shortly after that and wanted to know how do i proceed with informing the judge i am now unemployed and unable to pay the filing fee?
3. Are there any new state or federal laws that protect pro se litigants against not filling in a timely manner
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Need a clarification: If you filed one day late, then wouldn't that mean that you missed the statute of limitations? Or, is there something else going on here?