MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I am shareholder (1/9) of a corporation that owns commercial

Customer Question

I am shareholder (1/9) of a corporation that owns commercial property. i want to elect board of directors as quickly as possible. a voting trust was setup and is now over adn i need to elect directors immediately. shareholders are scattered around US though. can i send ballots for election/nominations via mail or email to get this done before the annual meeting next year?
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This issue is much more common than you would think. Luckily, it has been addressed. You can have the shareholders vote by proxy.

"Typically, a company will allow you to vote in one or more of the following ways:

• In person, you may attend the annual shareholder meeting and vote at the meeting. The materials you receive will describe what you must do to attend and vote, as well as the time, location, and date of the meeting.

• By mail, you may vote by filling out a paper proxy card if you are a registered owner or a voting instruction form if you are a beneficial owner.

• By phone, most companies provide a telephone number in the proxy materials through which you can vote. You will be prompted to vote using the control number provided in your materials.

• Over the Internet, if the company has provided that option. The materials will provide a website and control number for you to use to vote."

The following link has more information on the matter: https://www.sec.gov/spotlight/proxymatters/voting_mechanics.shtml#voting_mechanics

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.