LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My friends and I Got put out of an lounge. We left. I Left

Customer Question

My friends and I Got put out of an lounge. We left. I Left the parking lot and had to go back due to leaving my wallet. Officer gave me my wallet and I left again. Minutes Later enroute to my apt got pulled over and asked for just my id doing nothing wrong but driving home. Officer returned to my car and handed me a trespassing warrant to either pay or come to court. Went to court this morning they ask me did I want a lawyer. What should I do?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Why was this issued?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My friend had threw her drink down and we all were together and they had taken her out first and we followed after collecting our things. I have no idea why a trespass warrant was issued this was my first time at this lounge. Also we had left and then about a mile down the road we were pulled over and he asked me for my id only and then came back to the car with this warrant.

Thank you. Based upon what you shared above, if they asked you to leave and you returned to get your wallet, they may have used that as the basis. Now, you certainly have a defense to justify the return, since your wallet was left there and it had your ID and license and you needed the contents to drive. You also shared that the Officer gave you the wallet, so there is evidence to support your return. Now, you can try and fight this and it would need to be determined if they properly placed you on notice not to return and if there is any justification which may have allowed it. If so, you have a defense. If you retain counsel, they may be able to speak with the Officer and depose him, to show and support you had to get your license and they gave it to you and you left when asked. If so, the State may decide to not proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I've never been to this place before and issued anything and needed my wallet. How can they issue me trespassing if I've never been to this place.

I do understand. As I shared, it MAY have been because they warned and told you to leave after your friend threw her drink down. That may have constituted the warning and notice. Then, once you went back, is when they may have told the Officer. However, as I shared, you needed your wallet ( and you would want to show how and why they had it) and that was the legal basis to return

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then they pulled me over for nothing and a mile down the road. They had to have reason to pull me over right?

Yes, there needs to be a legal basis to stop the vehicle. However, the Officer may have used the trespass issue to justify the stop, if they knew this incident happened and needed to issue the warrant/citation, since you left there and they saw the car. You really want to obtain a copy of the police report and look into the court file, since it would state what happened and why this all went down. There needs to be a legal basis to support it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was parked on the other side of the street behind a building and went back after only being the first time being asked to leave and asked the officer which was a different one to get my wallet and he did and I left. Why would they only give me a warrant and no one else inside my car?

It seems odd, which is why I shared that you need to obtain a copy and read the report. Moreover, if you spoke directly with another officer and he got your wallet, it would appear you have a stronger case and argument to make.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!