Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My questions is.. I entered a football pot Thanksgiving

Customer Question

Good Morning , My questions is.. I entered a football pot for a Thanksgiving game , I paid 30 dollars a square and bought 2 squares , I won 2 quarters paying out 400 for the 2nd quarter and 750 for the 3rd quarter... the total winnings was 1,150 dollars.. the guy has not paid , and has not responded to any of my messages. Can I take him to small claims court in the state of Texas?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under Texas law, these football pools are considered illegal gambling, which is where you put up money for a chance to win. Because these pools are considered illegal games of chance, you cannot sue for breach of contract in small claims or any other court, because it is an illegal contract.