Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

What should a male counselor/therapist in private practice

Customer Question

What should a male counselor/therapist in private practice do when a female child makes a false allegation that he touched her while in the office?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

To whom has the child made the allegation and how have you learned about this. Have the police contacted you and are you now facing child molestation charges. In what US state did this occur?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The child made the allegation to the baby sitter and I learned about through her aunt who doesn't believe her niece and understands that she has been traumatized and now lying. The police are not involved. This is in AZ
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

So if nobody believes this child, and there is no complaint being made against you what is your specific concern here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was my initial fear that a serious allegation like this would haunt me. But, I'd like to use this as therapy for the child. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think that I should have a statement by the child in writing and witnessed by the sitter and the aunt?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. I don't see the purpose of having the child make a written accusatory statement, and, in fact, I can think of reasons you wouldn't want such a document to be discovered. I'm assuming that the child would repeat her untrue allegations, and I don't see what good that would do you.