Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Many years ago my husband at the time made a social

Customer Question

Many years ago my husband at the time made a social accusation regarding my conduct what types of informational and procedural rights do I have regarding what I think is the abuse of sexism. I was impaired with an endocrine illness hypothyroid illness at the time. Since then I always find my socially especially in church. My experience is there is a glass wall that I can never get past. The endocrine illness affected my thinking, emotional and my behavior. Can you help me?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 12 months ago.

Please explain what you mean by a "social accusation." What did your husband say? How many years ago did he say it? What happened as a result of his having said it? What did you hope to accomplish?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
During the illness I had I had a sexual relationship with a woman. I do not know what he said and I have been denied information about the accusation he made. My ex husband was at the least a conduct disorder male and he still finds ways to interfere in my professional life and my personal life that includes church. We were married in Dec of 1969 and we divorced in June of 1973. His father spoke to me about his oldest son and he told me he could protect me for awhile but when his father was gone I would be on my own. His father did tell me that his son is a very cruel man so now that my ex's father is gone I remember what my ex father had to say. If this issue is too complicated over the internet, should I see a Lawyer to give a more full explanation to him. Vivienne

I can contact you, but it can't e until tomorrow It is 10:30 PM here in New York where i am. Is that okay?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We can talk tomorrow around Noon my time CT or 1 pm your time. Please let me know if this is okay. Vivienne

Should be fine. 1 PM EST.

There's a problem, however, apparently with the processing of your payment which didn't go through. You have to check on that, or I can't accept the call option.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
My acct has $80.00 dollars in it so you can access it through the credit card number that you have on file.

I can't access your credit card at all. Experts here don't process payments. That's all done by customer service. My message here says your payment didn't clear. You have to sort this out with your card carrier.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have already added more money to my account. My credit card is linked to my bank acct. There is 80 dollars in my acct. I have to change the time on Monday that we speak from 1pm my time to 3pm CT my last appointment on Monday 7/15 is at one. The appt will probably last for 1 hour. I will be done by 2pm and my ride home will be around 45 minutes. So having an appt by phone by 3pm is very workable for me. Speak to you then. Be Well, Be Healthy and remember it is a beautiful life, don't waste the opportunity to live it. Vivienne

You need to contact customer service at***@******.*** because this is not soomething I can help you with. The message I get repeatedly tells me that your payment for the call never went through. If your card carrier tells you otherwise, customer service can help with the issue. If the matter is rectified I can contact you at 3 CT. Otherwise, I'll reply on this question thread.

It is now morning and I find that I still get an error message as to the phone call, saying that your payment hasn't cleared. I have sent you separate information on a phone call option. If you accept that offer, I should be able to call you this afternoon after all.

If not, for purposes of addressing your answer, I need to know what US state you are in, what happened to you as a direct result of your husband's social accusation and how long ago he made that accusation for me to know whether some legal action is possible.

If someone spreads a rumor about you, it doesn't always rise to the level of a civil suit. Many unpleasant or embarrassing things happen to us in the span of our lifetimes, for which the courts offer us no legal relief. There is a legal cause of action called defamation of character, but there are very specific elements required that you'd have to prove for you to mount a successful suit against someone for this. Defamation cases are not easy to win. Here are the elements you'd have to prove:

- That a person knowingly and intentionally made an untrue unprivileged statement about you

- To a third party

- That as a direct result of the statement(s) you sustained financial damages or physical injury

The statements made have to be presented as facts rather than opinions, as we are all entitled to our opinions. So one problem that I see here is that you don't know what was said about you and therefore whether or not it was true -- which is a complete defense to a defamation suit -- or only his opinion.

The second is that you cannot take many years to bring civil charges against a person. States have special laws called statutes of limitations that define when a case gets too old to be filed with the court. I don't know what US state is involved here and statutes of limitations vary from state to state. However, on an average 3 years from the incident is usually an outside limit.

You may however be on safer ground with your ex-husband's interference in your professional and personal affairs, if that is still ongoing and recent. I don't know what he's done, but that can possibly make out harassment or even stalking. If it's still ongoing there are things you can do to stop it, such as getting a restraining order against him. But again, if it's very old news, you're going to run up against a statute of limitations and be time-barred from exercising legal remedies at this time.

The way to know for sure would be to see a local lawyer as you yourself suggested above.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The bank called me at 11:00 am and I released the money for you. I live in IL and at the time of my marriage to my ex. I had an endocrine illness that affected my thinking, feeling and behavior. I went to a Baptist church and I was traumatized by members in my profession, teaching, and then I left. My illness and trauma continued for about a year and a half before I saw an MD. That took place in 1978. It was not until 2004 that the trauma was found by my Psychologist. Up until now my husband and I have paid out$150,000.00 cash since 1980 to the beginning of medicare. I am 68 now. Vivienne

You need to accept the additional services offer I sent you before I can call.

I see you are in Illinois. The criminal statute of limitations is 3 years in Illinois on a felony and only 18 months on a misdemeanor. To sue, you'd need to file within 1 year for defamation of character. You're way outside of the statute of limitations, and I don't see any legal action you can take now for something that happened as long ago as whatever happened to you.

I'm not sure how your endocrine matter factors into this or what was done to you but it is much too late to seek legal recourse now.