Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Need your thoughts on a legal matter in JulyI rather

Customer Question

need your thoughts on a legal matter
in JulyI rather carelessly signed a contract with gold's gym ( or so they claim; I have no memory of it) But assuming I did, they demanded immediate payment for a full year membership even though I never went back to the gym after my lst visit; they also demanded a $50 'cancellation fee -- both of which my wife Tina paid and which they acknowledged
I thought this was the end of it -- but I got another letter yesterday saying my doctor's excuse wasn't' strong enough and I needed a stronger one from him in 5 days saying that my medical status will never change
But Tina has a counter argument: she says that since they accepted the cancellation fee -- my "membership" is ipso facto already canceled! and the matter is closed
Tony
p.s. their comments on my doctor's letter:
"we need a letter from your doctor explaining your condition and a recovery status in detail -- must include doctor's phone. This letter must state a permanent/substantial disability"
But again i think the matter was closed once they accepted the cancellation fee??!!!
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 12 months ago.

Good afternoon. Do you have a copy of the alleged signed contract? If so, what does it say about the cancellation fee and how it is applied?