Cerecita
Cerecita,
1470369

My 83-year old mother is going to Jamaica WI holidays. She

Customer Question

Good afternoon! My 83-year old mother is going to Jamaica WI for the holidays. She is taking 1 new laptop and 1 new tablet home as gifts for her grandniece and her grandson along with a tablet and a notebook that are her own and for her personal use. What are the procedures for her taking the new electronic items through security as carry-on luggage?
Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help with your question, today.

There should be no problem in bringing these items as carry-on luggage, and if they are in cases, your mother will be asked to removed them from the cases (except for the tablets), for further inspection. Everything will also need to go through x-ray. Some airlines only permit one or two pieces of carry-on luggage (check with the airline), so, if these are all in separate cases, the smaller items may have to be consolidated into one bag and the laptop can remain in its own case--if it IS in a case. Please see this information from the TSA about electronic devices:

"Please carefully pack your electronics items, making sure all cords are wrapped and any DVDs, CDs, or cassettes are removed from their devices. While you can pack expensive, fragile electronics items in checked or carry-on bags, we recommend packing them in your carry-on.

Laptop computers, full-size video game consoles, CPAP machines, full-size DVD players, and video cameras that use video cassettes must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening. Small and portable electronic items (smart phones, tablets, portable games, etc.) do not need to be removed from their carrying cases or carry on bags.

For items you wish to carry-on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.
"

Also, please keep in mind that if your mother has wrapped the gifts for her grandniece and grandson, typically, the TSA screener will request that they are unwrapped to be inspected, so she can save time and trouble by wrapping these items when she gets to Jamaica.

I wish your mother a wonderful trip!

Please let me know if your need any further information. If my answer was helpful, please take a moment to click on the rating tab to rate my assistance. Thank you!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I also wanted to add this site with good information re: traveling with electronic devices:

http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage/computer.htm

As you can see, both tablets AND notebooks may be permitted to remain in their cases, unless the security screener asks for them to be removed.

Warmest wishes,

Cher