Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I suffer from mental illness. I left my job of 15 years on

Customer Question

I suffer from mental illness. I left my job of 15 years on June 22, 2014. My employer maintained an insurance policy from which I have been collecting since that time. However within that policy there is a cap specifically related to mental illness where one can collect only for two years wherein an individual with a physical illness can collect until age 65. Can I fight this?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Unfortunately, if the employee suffers from mental illness and not physical illness / disability and the insurance police has a cap of 2 years on any benefits related to the mental illness, then there would generally not be any legal recourse or options to contest such cap, since the cap is part of the insurance policy terms.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.