Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I had my credit card stolen and used against my knowledge by

Customer Question

I had my credit card stolen and used against my knowledge by a person who worked for me. She was subsequently arrested and indicted on charges of identity theft, unlawful use of a credit card, theft 2, and forgery. She is in the final resolution phase. I received a letter yesterday from her attorney asking that I consider a civil compromise. The catch is that the attorney is threatening civil action against me for a (self admitted) incident of me viewing texts on the defendants tablet without her permission before the crime was committed. Also, there is done sensitive information exchanged between me and the defendant that they are mentioning as well. The letter states that if I take a civil compromise then they will agree to not file a civil suit or release any of the "sensitive information" that they have to a third party. We reside in Oregon. Is this legal?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The person who stole your credit card is not in a position to dictate terms to you. You are the victim, not them.

You shuld not let her threats influence your action. Only agree tomthe compromise if it is in your best interests.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Otherwise, they are just making empty threats.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have furter questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They also included printouts of our text conversation
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Deny any wrongdoing. If you want to take the $180 then it may not be a bad deal if that is all you are out. Ultimately, it is up to you, though.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service to you so that I am credited for assisting you and so that I may close the question. Thanks.