Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

Is there a grace period after signing a leasze

Customer Question

is there a grace period after signing a leasze
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Unfortunately, Texas law does not provide a "cooling off" or cancelation period for leases. Under Texas law cooling off periods are provided for very few types of contracts (generally door to door sales).

However, you may be able to negotiate a release from your agreement. ALSO under the law the landlord MUSTmitigate his damages. This means that if there is someone else who is willing to lease the property, the landlord can not claim damages against you when they could have avoided the damages by leasing to the other person

One other point. If you ae in the military you may avoid a lease if you have Orders requirinf you to relocate.

I am sorry that this may not be what you wanted to hear, but I don't want to mislead you and create more difficulties for you.

You can find more information here:

http://guides.sll.texas.gov/right-to-cancel

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.