Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My soon-to-be-ex-wife and I "united" under a self-uniting

Customer Question

My soon-to-be-ex-wife and I "united" under a self-uniting license from Philadelphia County. At the time we were told that for the "marriage" to be legal and binding, we had to hold the ceremony in Philadelphia County. We, however, did a little exchange of niceties to one another while on vacation in Italy (no Americans may be married in Italy at all without jumping through enormous hoops, so we just ignored the requirements). Upon returning to Philadelphia, we DID NOT hold another ceremony, and the "witnesses" just signed their names to the document stating that we did. My question is this: does the fact that we did NOT follow the prescribed-by-law rules invalidate the marriage?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you marry under the laws of Italy? Did you return the license within 60 days?