Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I need to know how to go about getting a restraining order

Customer Question

I need to know how to go about getting a restraining order put against someone
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is this a household or a family member, OR, a stalker or someone who is harassing you but who is not a household/family member?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is an ex boyfriend of mine and he is harassing me
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. What someone in your situation seeks is called a "Stalking No Contact Order." See HERE.

The steps are simple:

-Create a no contact order petition HERE via an online wizard

-file the petition in the county where you live, where he lives, or where the contact took place. The Clerk will stamp the copies of your petition and summons.

-If you are asking for an Emergency Stalking No Contact Order, the Court will hear your case for an Emergency Order right away without him even being served.

-Take the summons and the Emergency Stalking No Contact Order (if granted) to the the county sheriff’s office (the clerk may help with this)

-The County Sheriff will serve the stalker with the Emergency Order and/or Petition and Summons for the hearing. You do not need to give the papers personally to him

-You must go to the hearing for your Plenary Stalking No Contact Order to get a long-term order. At this point, he may also show to try to defend himself.

Good luck.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base because you had not rated positively. Let me know. Thanks!