Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Do I have a case against revolution my cat died from fleas

Customer Question

Do I have a case against revolution my cat died from fleas burrowing under her skin flea infestation revolution did not work. The vet said that she passed away from anemia due to the flea infestation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There are a couple of issues here. First, pets (dogs, cats or whatever) are considered property under the law. This means when a pet dies they are treated like any other property (like your car etc) and the only damage you can recover is the actual value of the cat (or cost of treatment). This makes pet cases, even product liability cases very low value cases, because you can only sue for the cost of the care for the cat and value of the cat at death (no emotional distress or pain and suffering).
Second, the manufacturer could be liable to you for their product being defective, but you have to prove that the cat had no fleas and their product is defective in not preventing the fleas from getting on the cat and as a result your property was damaged. Then you could sue for value of the cat and costs of treatment and refund of the product. This is something that you would do likely in small claims court because of the low value of the claim and you would not use an attorney for something like this because cost of an attorney is far more than the value of the claim the law would allow you to bring.