Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I have POA (financial and medical) 91 year old mother.

Customer Question

I have POA (financial and medical) for my 91 year old mother. Currently she is in a nursing home and I am in the process of bringing her to my home to live out her life with us.
When I check her out of the home am I able to take all of her original records without having to pay for copies? I assumed that all paper work belongs to the patient or is that incorrect?
Thanks for your help.
Beth Dasch
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

ANSWER:

Each facility will have a policy in place for requesting medical record copies. It will set the time-line for fulfilling the request within state regulations; which is usually 30 days. The nursing home does have the option of charging for copies per page within a price limit set by the state where the facility is located. So, what you are saying is true for the legal profession; but not so in the medical profession. There, you have to pay for the copies.

See this link for fees in your state.