Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I am the Power of Attorney 93 year old father. I do not

Customer Question

I am the Power of Attorney for my 93 year old father. I do not think he is a safe driver. He renewed his license on his 93rd birthday in February. He is covered by insurance. He recently went to the hospital and the doctor told him he was not to drive. I had his keys taken from him until today when he went to the doctor for his check up. In the meantime my brothers gave him back his keys and told him he could drive. I talked to the doctor today at which time the doctor suggested he not drive but did not make it mandatory. I clearly understand my moral obligation and if he hurt someone while driving, I would feel responsible. I need to know my legal obligation and repercussions if he does get into an accident. He lives in California City, California. I live in Idaho.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you are father's power of attorney, you just have the power to act on his behalf with regard to any financial matters that he may need you to act on. But this doesn't make you responsible for his actions and if he were to wreck and injure someone, you are not liable, only he, or his estate is.

.

So you have no personal liability for his actions.

.

With that said, if you feel that he is unsafe, you can contact the local drivers licensing agency and make them aware of your concerns. Law enforcement officers and physicians represent the majority of individuals submitting reports, although concerned citizens also can do so. If a state agency finds a complaint reasonable and credible, it may ask the reported driver to submit additional information, which could be used to help determine if a screening or assessment is justified.

.

.

thanks