LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was working at a job and having a conversation with

Customer Question

I was working at a job and having a conversation with another person a a third person was sitting behind us and recorded our conversation without my knowledge, I was ultimately fired and now am informed that I am blackballed from ever working at any of their facilities ever again. First is it legal for someone to record me without my knowledge and it be used against me, and second is it legal to ban someone for life? Mike Callaway
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you were in an open and public area and speaking with someone, they would have a right to record, since there was no reasonable expectation of privacy and it is not a situation whereby they were tapping your phone or something along those lines. If you were speaking with someone about something that was private, this should have happened behind close doors and I am inclined to believe that if they were able to record this, that the conversation was fairly loud, thus open to the public and for anyone to hear. Even if this person did not record the conversation, they could have heard it and reported you just as easily. Now, as far as the issue with you being banned, if this is a private company, they can prevent you and demand that you do not enter their facilitates in the future, if there were issues and problems with your employment, which lead to your termination. I know this is not what you were hoping to hear or wanted to but I have an obligation to be upfront and honest with you. If you openly had this conversation and spoke loud enough for someone to hear it and record it, there is no privacy which you are afforded

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.