Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I am looking to do a fax broadcast to prospects around my

Customer Question

I am looking to do a fax broadcast to prospects around my business.
Based on research I have done, The law requires 3 things
1. An existing business relationship
2. The recipient has made available the fax on their directory or their website or some public forum.
3. The fax has to have an opt out option.
The questions I have are:
a) is having an "existing business relationship" a "and" situation or is it an "or" situation. In essence, if I meet the 2nd and 3rd criteria, is that enough or do I need to have all three.
b) Is it alright if I find a business prospects fax number on a directory like Yellow pages, or Manta, or reference USA, etc..., or does it have to be strictly from their website.
Thanks
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

The law states according to FCC website and I quote:

A fax advertisement may be sent to an EBR customer if the sender also:

• obtains the fax number directly from the recipient through, for example, an application, contact information form or membership renewal form
  • or obtains the fax number from the recipient's own directory, advertisement or site on the Internet, unless the recipient has noted on such materials that it does not accept unsolicited advertisements at the fax number in question
  • or has taken reasonable steps to verify that the recipient consented to have the number listed, if obtained from a directory or other source of information compiled by a third party

So, it is important to make sure that the fax owner did consent to their fax listed by any third party or otherwise it would be a better idea to obtain such fax number directly from the company's website / advertisement and also it is mandatory to have an opt-out option on each fax.

Here is the link to FCC where you can find all details about this issue:

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/fax-advertising

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.

Thank you.