Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I was severely burned by a teapot marketed by Continuum

Customer Question

I was severely burned by a teapot marketed by Continuum Sales and Marketing Group. Photos of fingers and thumb burned by steam from the teapot, as a result of the lid falling off while pouring water, were furnished the company. Spoke with Harold Nash, President of the company. He offered to give me a set of stainless steel cookware valued at $500. I said, "Oh, no." He asked what I thought would be a suitable amount of money. I told him I would forward the photos to him and let him arrive at a figure. I never heard back and then contacted him again. He told me he had done a test with the teapot and said that I had misused the product by taking it to the sink. I had heated water and took teapot to sink to pour over a can of paint to help loosen a lid which would not lift. When he did the test, he said the teapot lid remained affixed. I told him that his website indicates a product marketed as Best Home had comments from a consumer that none of the lids fit. He responded that was an old claim. In addition, I told him the customer said Continuum did nothing to correct the problem. He asked how much I wanted. I said $5,000. He offered $500. if I sign a release. I said, "No. I would speak with an attorney." Shortly after the call, I sent him a note that I would resolve the issue by accepting the $500. and signing the release. I requested confirmation of my offer. He has not responded. I believe in the principle of what is correct and ethical. I had also asked that buyers of this product receive a warning or that a recall be issued. I reside in Washington state. It isn't about the $500 but the principle of a company standing behind its products. This company is listed as earning 2.5 to 5 million dollars a year. My injuries were a direct result of using the Lenox By Design teapot marketed by Continuum. Lenox denied any liability and referred me to Continuum.
I performed a test in my kitchen today. I placed the lid on the teapot but did not let it snap into place. I heated the pot until it was about ready to whistle. Because the lid, was not firmly in place, steam escaped and made the handle too hot to handle. So Mr. Nash's assertion that I had not affixed the lid properly does not hold up. I believe Continuum is liable for my injuries.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Do you have a legal question related to the situation you have described?