Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Parking penalty on California private school property. Urban

Customer Question

Parking penalty on California private school property. Urban legend says that property owners must post any kind of fine. We have parents who break our rules and need encouragement to follow them. Once we notify in writing of new policy, must we also post a sign? Please quote applicable code section
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

According to an Opinion of the CA Attorney General which you can read in full here at this link:

Pursuant to Vehicle Code section 21113(a), parking on the grounds of a private, tax-exempt educational institution is “subject to any condition or regulation which may be imposed” by the institution’s governing board. In addition, under Penal Code section 830.7(b) and Vehicle Code section 1808.25, school security officers may be vested with authority to enforce parking restriction.

That section of the code also states:

(b) A governing board, legislative body, or officer shall erect or place appropriate signs giving notice of any special conditions or regulations that are imposed under this section and the governing board, legislative body, or officer shall also prepare and keep available at the principal administrative office of the governing board, legislative body, or officer, for examination by all interested persons, a written statement of all those special conditions and regulations adopted pursuant to this section.

So to answer your question - yes, the Board of the school may impose the sanctions and yes, signs shall be posted even after notice is provided.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you