Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I was denied a carry permit because i was deemed mentaly ill

Customer Question

i was denied a carry permit because i was deemed mentaly ill by the state of nj.i have not lived in new jersey for over 15 years. i had a fl. cary permit for over 10 years. i am a model citisen and have lived in nc for over 5 years, how can they denie me a permit? was there not a law that said nc can only go back 5 years.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I am sorry to hear you have been denied your permit. But NC law, as well as Federal law, is clear

(c) A permit may not be issued to the following persons:

(1) One who is under an indictment or information for or has been convicted in any state, or in any court of the United States, of a felony (other than an offense pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, or restraints of trade). However, a person who has been convicted of a felony in a court of any state or in a court of the United States and (i) who is later pardoned, or (ii) whose firearms rights have been restored pursuant to G.S. 14-415.4, may obtain a permit, if the purchase or receipt of a pistol permitted in this Article does not violate a condition of the pardon or restoration of firearms rights.

(2) One who is a fugitive from justice.

(3) One who is an unlawful user of or addicted to marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug (as defined in 21 U.S.C. § 802).

(4) One who has been adjudicated mentally incompetent or has been committed to any mental institution.

(5) One who is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States.

(6) One who has been discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions.

(7) One who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I am not aware of any state or federal law that restricts a background check for firearms to 5 years.