P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

My Credit Union refuses to give an account to our Community

Customer Question

My Credit Union refuses to give an account to our Community Rights organization because it is "controversial". Is that legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

It is...that is, a business can "reserve the right to refuse service" to potential customers.

This is actually common...that is, it is common for a business to make such decisions (refuse to take customers if it is perceived that entering into the business relationship would harm the business).

Now...there are state and federal laws that limit a businesses ability to discriminate. For example, if a bank refused to take a customer based on their race, religion, gender or national origin? That would violate federal and state laws

But it is not a violation of any law refuse business from a "controversial" organization.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.