CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

~ My son, in Los Angeles, was mugged, beaten-up badly, left

Customer Question

Hello ~ My son, in Los Angeles, was mugged, beaten-up badly, left unconscious, and his car was stolen. Hours later, he woke up in the E.R. with a concussion, a broken clavicle, and a broken nose. He went to recuperate at his brother's home in Oakland for 6 days. On his 4th day of recuperation, he was phoned by the L.A. police and they told him that his car had been found and that it had been impounded. When my son returned to L.A. 2 days later, he went to the impoundment and they charged him $850 to get his car out.
Please...tell me that there is some sort of legal protection for victims of violence who have had their cars stolen and impounded.
Thank you so much for your time and efforts.
~ Tim
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of your son's situation, I do hope that he makes a rapid recovery.

He should contact the LA County District Attorney's Office and speak with their Victim's Advocacy Representative to seek victim restitution for the crime (they should be able to assist him in covering the cost of the impound, and perhaps other expenses).

http://da.co.la.ca.us/victims