Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am un probation DUI an got a travel permit to leave

Customer Question

I am un probation for a DUI an got a travel permit to leave Columbus and go to Pittsburgh to see my parents. I had the local police sign my permit. It says I am supposed to return permit the next business day to my PO. What if I am a day late, I don't want to go today as I am afraid I may still have alcohol in my system. What are the likely ramifications?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

If someone in your situation is a day late, then then the PO may tell the prosecutor and the prosecutor may file a motion for violating probation. Tis is at the discretion of the PO and the prosecutor. If there is a good reason for being a day late (such as bus runs late, snow, etc) then the PO and the prosecutor are less likely to try to claim that the probation has been violated.

If the PO never finds out about one being late, then there is no repercussion.

If the PO tests you for alcohol and you turn up positive, they may tell the prosecutor to motion the court for violation of probation, same as if you were late coming back. That is again, if the PO tests you.

Many POs have good relationships with the Defendants and allow one or two minor hiccups to slide by without telling the prosecutor. Other POs are not as forgiving. So this partially would depend on the relationship one has with their PO.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!