Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Does anyone know the law regarding hotel bookings in Israel?

Customer Question

Does anyone know the law regarding hotel bookings in Israel? There are clear laws for getting your money back when you return goods to a shop but what about a hotel booking?
I had to have tests at Tel Hashomer hospital over two days so decided to book into the Apropos hotel in the hospital grounds. When we got there saw the hotel was so sub standard that we decided we not going to stay there.
In the room there was black gunk and rust on shower floor and wall with broken tiles. Filthy curtains with holes and stains hanging off from the rails. Thick black grime all around the air vents. Filthy carpets and bed covering that stunk. Peeling paint on the walls. Chipped stained Formica furniture. Too too awful.
Told desk we would not stay after seeing room but they would not give us our money back. Explained we did not cancel nor did we not show up. We came to the hotel but it was sub standard and they still would not refund all our money. Receptionist would not let us speak to manager and got very rude, After two days fighting with them they still refuse to put us in contact with manger. We went to another hotel nearby which was the same price and it was a lovely 5 star hotel (Kfar Habacabia.)
What are my legal rights to get my money back if I turned up at the hotel but saw it was sub standard?
I took photos and even videoed the receptionist refusing to let me speak to the management.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under Israel law, this is a breach of contract by the hotel, since they must provide a habitable room for the guest as part of the agreement contract. You need to start by calling to speak to management, but if that does not work, if they are a large chain you can contact the corporate office and if not your next step is filing a dispute with your credit card if you used the credit card. Your final recourse, you would have to sue the hotel for refund of your money, since they did not provide habitable accommodations for you to stay in as guaranteed by their contract with you.

You can sue in Israel for small claims without an attorney. See: https://lawinisrael.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/small-claims-in-israel-faq/

Also, you can file a complaint with the Israel Consumer Council to get them to try to resolve the matter without court: www.consumers.org.il/category/israel-consumer-council

Also, the ministry of tourism can many times assist in these complaints: http://www.goisrael.com/Tourism_Eng/Articles/Pages/Tourphone.aspx