Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Can i legally park my 6by12 work trailer overnight on my

Customer Question

Can i legally park my 6by12 work trailer overnight on my driveway if it moves daily for work. Im in AZ.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

This type of thing is usually governed by local ordinance, not state law. What city and county are you in?

Also, do you live in a community with an HOA that has rules about parking commercial vehicles?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in az and hoa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chandler Maricopa county
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

What do the HOA rules say about work trailers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find the rules
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

Ask the HOA to give you a copy of the rules, to start, because anything in those rules is binding on you. If they prohibit commercial vehicles from the premises, even for overnight parking, then that's binding on you as a member of the community. In that case, it wouldn't matter what the local ordinances say, because you've already agreed to follow the HOA's rules.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

It's fairly common for HOAs to contain that restriction, but not all of them do.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Chandler Municipal Code, Section 12-4 prohibits parking the following on residential streets when not working at the property. "No person shall stand or park any vehicle with a gross vehicle weight in excess of fourteen thousand five hundred (14,500) pounds, nor any vehicle modified or altered to add a crane, racks, frames or other structures to customize for a business purpose, nor any trailer or semi-trailer designed or intended to be drawn behind a motor vehicle and used or designed for a business purpose, on any vacant or unimproved lot, street, alley, or other public right-of-way in or within two hundred (200) feet of a residential zone for a period of time longer than two (2) hours, except such vehicles may be parked for a longer period of time only when such parking is necessarily required while actually loading, unloading, delivering or making a service call at a residence." (emphasis added)

It doesn't say anything about driveways, and your driveway isn't a public street, so the answer here is going to have to be in the HOA documents.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.