Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I just bought a 2015 chevrolet silverado, My 6 year old son

Customer Question

hi, i just bought a 2015 chevrolet silverado, My 6 year old son was climbing the bed of the truck when he slid off the step of the truck when his knee caught the truck and got a 5" laceration approximately 3/4 of an inch deep counting 22 stitches. do you think that's something to blame chevrolet?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Not based solely on the facts you gave. If there was some kind of defect that caused the part to be unreasonably sharp and dangerous then you would although they're going to try and put a portion of the damages on you.

The other issue is that these kinds of cases (automobile products liability) are extremely expensive to pursue and so many lawyers won't take them unless the damages are at least $100k.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean it should be a defect of the exaust right? Since it's really sharp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the exaust is sticking out of the truck, he should have never got hurt right?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

It could be. I can't think of any reason the exhaust would need to be sharp and one of the concepts that you address in products liability lawsuit is the cost vs. benefit analysis.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "exhaust is sticking out of the truck" and how it would relate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you don't recommend i take this further? My son slipped off the step and his knee caught the exaust and since it's really sharp it cut him.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

No, I didn't mean to imply that. What you need to do is contact a lawyer that does personal injury and/or products liability...

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

They will go over all of the facts and then tell you whether they are interested in taking the case on a % basis.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

This may be one of the cases where it's not economically feasible to pursue, but then again it may not be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you for your time
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome.

You can locate a lawyer at www.lawyers.com, enter personal injury or products liability under the Area of Practice.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Wow. That is a nasty cut.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

My guess is that you can probably get some kind of settlement offer out of the dealership or the manufacturer. That photo should be worth something in a settlement.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.