Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I received deferred ajudication in 1998. Got 8 years

Customer Question

I received deferred ajudication in 1998 for burglary. Got 8 years probation and discharged in June 2006. Have not been in trouble since. Got a non disclosure a couple years ago. How can I legally buy a firearm? I'd like to go hunting. Take a CHL class. Do everything legal. Just need help pleas.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you received a deferred adjudication and the case was dismissed in 2006, what is your issue as the case should be entered in your record as dismissed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just trying to find out if I can own a firearm. Can I take a CHL class. I want to do everything legal. Just want to be able to own a gun. Legally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Texas and want to take the concealed handgun course. Want to own a deer rifle. Want to hunt. Can I? What do I have to do?
Thank you for your reply.
If you received a deferred adjudication, then no conviction was entered against you and if the charge was subsequently dismissed you are not a convicted felon. Thus, you can legally own, possess and purchase a firearm without doing anything else.
If they deny you, then you need to get certified copies of the final disposition in your case from the clerk of court's office showing the deferred adjudication and final disposition of being dismissed and send that to the FBI Firearms Unit (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics-appeals-process/appeals-home) and they will correct their database.