Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I was notified I had won a large sum of money. The

Customer Question

I was notified I had won a large sum of money. The director's name is***** and I am supposed to send a sizable fee to a Jeremiah Silver Jackson before I receive my winnings. Have you heard of these names before? Can you advise me in this situation?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

How did you win this money?

Did you enter a sweepstakes of some sort?

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like a scam to me. And I suggest you do not want to send anyone any money.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

And as a matter of fact, you can read another question posted here on JA a few days ago asking about the same scam Read it at this LINK

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

If you send anyone any money, I suggest you will not see it again. You will not be awarded any money as you were told.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

If you get a call offering you the chance to play a foreign lottery or telling you that you’ve won a foreign lottery, odds are good it’s a scam. First, it’s against federal law to play a foreign lottery. Second, most scam operators don’t buy the promised lottery tickets. Third, other scam artists buy the tickets, but keep the “winnings” for themselves. Finally, lottery hustlers use their victims’ bank account numbers to withdraw money without authorization or their credit card numbers to run up charges.

If you’re solicited to participate in a foreign lottery, say no. Instead, remember:

• playing a foreign lottery — on the telephone or through the mail — is a violation of federal law.
  • buying even one foreign lottery ticket puts your name on “sucker lists” that fraudulent telemarketers buy and sell to each other. You will get many more bogus offers for lotteries or investment “opportunities.”
  • keeping your credit card and bank account numbers to yourself is your best course of action. Scam artists often ask for this information during an unsolicited sales pitch, and then use it to commit other frauds against you.
  • if you get what looks like lottery material from a foreign country, give it to your local postmaster.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Fraudulent telemarketers often “guarantee” that you’ve won valuable prizes, like vacations, cars or large sums of cash. But they want you to pay “fees” for shipping, taxes, customs or other supposed expenses. If someone asks you to pay to claim a “prize” or “free” gift, it’s a trick. You may get a cheap gift that is worth far less than the “fees” you paid, or you may not get anything at all.

If you get a call from out of the blue telling you that “you’re a winner”:

• don’t pay any money to collect supposed sweepstakes winnings. If you have to pay to collect your winnings, you’re not winning — you’re buying. Legitimate sweepstakes don’t require you to pay “insurance,” “taxes” or “shipping and handling charges” to collect your prize.
  • hold on to your money. Scammers pressure people to wire money through commercial money transfer companies because wiring money is the same as sending cash. When the money’s gone, there’s very little chance of recovery. Likewise, resist any push to send a check or money order by overnight delivery or courier. Con artists recommend these services so they can get their hands on your money before you realize you’ve been cheated.
  • remember that phone numbers can deceive. Internet technology allows con artists to disguise their area code so it looks like they’re calling from your local area. But they could be calling from anywhere in the world.